Health & Safety - When To Notify The HSE?

Date: March 17, 2021

Under Construction (Design & Management) Regulations 2015 (CDM), your construction project may need to be notified to the Health & Safety Executive (HSE). Whilst this is a legal requirement under regulations, only certain types of projects need to be notified, which is where it can get confusing!

The CDM Regulations state;

(1) A project is notifiable if the construction work on a construction site is scheduled to -

(a) last longer than 30 working days and have more than 20 workers working simultaneously at any point in the project; or

(b) exceed 500 person days.

How to work out if your project is notifiable

Well, section 1 (a) is fairly easy to understand. Is construction likely to last longer than 30 days, and will there be more than 20 workers on-site at any point during construction? If the answer to these questions is YES, then you will need to complete the notification.

Section 1 (b) takes a little more thinking about however it can be worked out easily. The thing to remember is that any day that someone is working on the build is required as a 'working day' no matter how long that day lasts. It could be 2 hours, it could be 12!

For example, if you have 5 people working on your site for 100 days, this will equate to 500 person days and therefore, the project is notifiable. That works out at a 20-week programme when based on a 5-day working week.

If you decide that your project is not notifiable under either of these regulations, then the form does not need to be completed.

One small word of warning if your project gets delayed for any reason during the construction phase, keep an eye on the number of person days as they can easily creep up to the 500 person days threshold for reporting. If it looks like you are going to exceed this, then you should put the notification in as soon as this becomes apparent.

Who needs to notify the HSE?

Both Commercial and Residential Clients now need to consider whether their project is notifiable and make the application using the F10 Form available on the HSE website.

Here at Hewitt&Carr Services, we can help to guide you through the CDM Regulations and provide you with relevant and timely information. Give us a call today to discuss your requirements.

Tel: 01538 711777


For more information visit CDM Health & Safety

Meet our team?



URGENT: Protect Your Property Extension Project

Your property extension dreams are one step away from reality, but there's a CRUCIAL step you must take NOW.
Front Cover
The CDM Regulations (2015) Homeowners Guide is your FREE ticket to success, ensuring your project is legal and SAFE. 
Don't risk costly mistakes, fines, or delays. Download Your FREE Guide Here 

    Sign up to our newsletter

      This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Terms of Service and the Privacy Policy.
      © 2024 Hewitt&Carr Services | All Rights Reserved
      This notice serves to clarify the associations between the individual employees of and consultants to Hewitt&Carr Services and the third-party, professional organisations. The logos of the organisations are used in accordance with the guidance set out by the organisations. The logo of the Royal Town Planning Institute relates to the membership of Rob Duncan BSc MA MRTPI. The logo of the Association for Project Management relates to the memberships of Kate Hewitt.